Furniture Makeover | Nightstand

Hey Guys!

Today’s post is a DIY furniture makeover on a pair of nightstands. (This post only shows one nightstand because why show you same thing twice?)

Furniture Makeover Nightsand

First I started out with a pair of nightstands that I bought off of Craigslist for $5 each. Here is what they looked like when I bought them.

Nightstand

The first step is to wipe down the furniture, you want your piece to be free from any dust or debris. I took a damp rag and wiped it down and then a dry rag to dry it off. After about 1o minutes I began sanding my piece. I have an electric sander and I used 220 grit sandpaper. The reason for the sanding process is because this nightstand was already stained and had a protective coat on it. I wanted to sand it down a bit to remove that protective coat so that my paint would stick.

My nightstands were very low to the ground and I wanted to bring them up a bit so I went on Amazon and found a set of furniture feet.

Furniture Feet

I ended spray painting them with this matte gray color. I used Valspar Project Perfect Primer in the color gray.

 

valspar-spray-paint

Now the bottom of my nightstands were made with a hallow backing, so I went to my local Home Depot and had a 2×4 cut down to size. I nailed the pieces of wood in place. Then I was ready to add my furniture feet onto the pieces of wood.

Base for my furniture feet

Base for my furniture feet

Here is a close up of how the furniture feet look once it’s all screwed into place.

furniture feet

All done :)

All done 🙂

After the sanding was done, I wiped the piece down once again to remove any saw dust. Next it’s time to paint. I went to my local Lowe’s and checked out the As Is shelf and scored two gallon size cans of paint that were in the colors I needed for my Master Bedroom makeover I am in the middle of.

Valspar Paint

Each can was $5.00 and the shades were a deep gray and a light pale blue. For the nightstands I decided to paint them the light pale blue shade.  After two coats of paint this is what it looked like.

Nightstand

My drawer originally didn’t have any hardware so I found the center of the drawer and screwed a new drawer pull in. I spray painted the drawer pull the same color as the furniture feet so it could look cohesive. I did not seal my piece with polycrylic I chose to let the paint cure for about 2-3 weeks before I moved them into my bedroom.

That’s it all finished, this project took me about two weeks to finish both pieces as I only had the weekends to really work on them.

Comments

  1. Looks great! Nice share:)

Trackbacks

  1. […] furniture, this pair of nightstands was $5 on Craigslist and pretty ugly before Tiffany over at Diva Locks got ahold of them. Since the nightstands were already finished with a stain and protective sealant, […]

Speak Your Mind

*